Where are We in the Fee-For-Service Transition?
June 12th, 2015
In the last issue of The Guardian we provided a brief overview of the New Jersey Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) fee-for-service transition, including the anticipated roll out beginning July 1, 2015. Much of the information providers, consumers, and their families wanted to know regarding next steps was not yet developed or unclear.
Since January, the DDD has issued a second draft of their Supports Program policy manual following concerns and comments voiced by provider organizations and stakeholders, including The Arc of Essex County. The DDD also revised the day habilitation rates that provider organizations can charge for services in the new model. Here is what we know so far:
- Service providers must be DDD and Medicaid approved to bill for services in the new model
- 2015 graduates will be the first group to transition to the fee-for-service system, followed by individuals who entered adult services in the past three years
- Each individual will select a support coordinator to help guide them and their families in selecting services
- In order for DDD to assign rate tiers in the new system, each individual will be assessed using the NJCAT and DDRT to determine their current service needs
- Assessments will take place over the next few months
- The assessment results will determine each individual’s rate tier and annual budget for services; with this budget in mind, individuals and their families can choose their services moving forward
The fee-for-service transition is an evolving process, with additional information and policies still forthcoming. For additional information and announcements regarding the DDD’s transition, visit the fee-for-service implementation website below or email the Supports Program Help Desk:
- Website: http://nj.gov/humanservices/ddd/providers/ffs_implementation.html
- Help Desk: DDD.SuppProgHelpDesk@dhs.state.nj.us
The Arc of Essex County is also happy to work with you to answer any questions. If you are a part of the fee-for-service system or have questions about how this will impact you or your family, please contact Melissa Soules at (973) 535-1181 ext. 1262 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Arc of Essex County will continue to post updates to our website and social media channels as we receive further information regarding the transition and implementation.