Annual Building Tomorrows Event Raises Nearly $45,000
May 26th, 2021
The Arc of Essex County’s annual Building Tomorrows event, which kicked off on Saturday, April 24th, attracted a broad field of participants from across Northern New Jersey as well as states as far away as Maryland. More than 300 individuals ran, walked, or contributed to the fundraising efforts throughout the two-week submission window. While participating in the virtual 5K, 10K, half marathon and 1-mile walk, runners and walkers flexed their creative muscle with entries into the event’s photo contest. Winners were crowned in four categories:
- Best Virtual Team Photo: We Thought They Said Rum, Flanders, NJ
- Most Creative Cheer Sign: The Arc's Roseland Group Home Residents
- Best Essex County Landmark Selfie: Reginald Corley, Taken at Essex County's Cherry Blossom Center
- Most Scenic Route: Lori Bogert, 13.1 Miles Along the Jersey Shore
Proceeds from the event will enable The Arc to continue to remain agile, responsive, and innovative and fund vital services for children and adults with special needs throughout the pandemic and beyond. Thanks to participants and donors of this annual event, over the past year, The Arc provided:
- 140+ hours of day programming for adults each month
- Round-the-clock care to nearly 150 residents through the height of the pandemic
- 5 weeks of summer day camp resulting in zero COVID-19 cases
- More than 2,250 virtual physical, speech, and occupational therapy sessions
“We would like to congratulate all of the runners and walkers who took part in the virtual 2021 Building Tomorrows Run and Walk” said Linda Cancro Lucas, Chief Executive Officer, The Arc of Essex County. “As a result of everyone’s fundraising efforts and the participation of the community, we raised needed funds which will enable The Arc of Essex County to continue to ensure that children and adults with IDD have every opportunity to achieve despite the uncertainty caused by the ongoing pandemic.”
The Arc of Essex County would like to thank the following sponsors for their generous contributions and support of the 23rd Annual Building Tomorrows event: PSE&G, Bogush, William H. Connolly Insurance & Risk Management, Bird Pharma Consulting, NJM Insurance Group, Sax LLP, Benefit Management Solutions, Eastern Janitorial, StationMD, Wakefern Food Group, and Walsh, Pizzi, O’Reilly, Falanga.
A complete list of submitted race results is available here. Photos from the event are available on The Arc of Essex County’s social media channels.