Camp Hope to Open for Summer 2020 with Significant Modifications in Place
June 1st, 2020
As you may be aware, Governor Murphy announced on Friday May 29, 2020 that youth summer day camps will be able to open this summer beginning July 6, 2020. The Arc of Essex County is hopeful that this announcement along with the soon to be released NJ Department of Health (DOH) guidelines detailing specific regulatory health and safety requirements, will allow us to operate camp in a modified capacity this summer.
Based on current information released from the CDC and anticipating some of the NJ DOH regulatory requirements for camps, we are aware of some specific modifications that will be necessary in order for camp to operate. We wanted to share this information with you as it may have an impact on your loved one’s capacity to attend camp. Please review the information below. Families already registered for camp will receive a call from one of our Camp Hope Staff over the next few days to discuss how this information impacts you and your family.
To date, please note the following preliminary changes to Camp Hope Program for Summer 2020:
- The camp season will start no earlier than July 13, 2020;
- Door to door transportation will not be provided. Families will need to transport their camper to and from camp.
- NOTE: For families who have NO transportation available, we are exploring establishing multiple pick up and drop off locations throughout the county;
- There will be limited enrollment for each week;
- A modified camp day with staggered start and end times.
- Health screens at the point of drop off will be completed for all campers prior to the start of the camp day;
- A temporary pause on any new camp enrollments due to reduced capacity, shortened camp season and reschedule of weeks.
As the NJ State DOH releases further details regarding camp regulations for this summer season, we will be able to determine health requirements, consumer group sizes, activities, daily schedules and facility accommodations. As we receive more information from the State of NJ or additional regulations are put in place, we will communicate any updates impacting the Camp Hope program for this summer.
At this time, the camp guidance applies to children under 21 years old. For campers 21 and older, we are awaiting further instructions from DDD and will notify you when available.
While we understand the Camp Hope Program that is loved by all will be different this summer, we assure you that the quality programming and support from The Arc of Essex County, remains the same.